Wednesday, 14 November 2018

NEA Preparation: Industry Context

In the music industry, digital convergence is used to market the artist, and it is important, especially for a growing artist to have a clear and unfaltering image and style, so people have something to identify them with.

To research this, I looked at the Twenty One Pilots website to see how they were marketing their new album.


Image result for twenty one pilots logoThey have a very clear simple colour pallet, which has changed with the arrival of their new album. Because they are an established band, they have more freedom with their branding, with the sudden colour change from their original blue, white and red. However they do still use convergence as their new logo is clearly a simulacra of their old logo, shown on the right. These are the same colours that they use in their 3 story music videos in their costumes and in the flames and darkness, and the videos also have digital convergence with each other because they can be played in order and lead perfectly in to each other. They also have their signature "ΓΈ"which has carried through since the beginning of the band. There buttons look similar to the yellow tape that is used in their costumes.

I will be using this information in my project to make sure I use colours from my logo in the music video, such as lens flares. And I want to keep both my video and website in a cinematic style, by using dark colours and black bars. I will use bars at the top and bottom of my video and between website elements to show convergence. I will use images from my music video on the website to show intertextuality and generate an image for the band.


No comments:

Post a Comment