Sunday, 28 October 2018

NEA Preparation: Camera Shots and Editing

For my NEA I wanted to be sure I was using the correct camera shots to accurately convey the desired meaning. To do this I mostly looked at professional music videos, but also some A Level music videos and finally at films.

From Superman, we already established that a slow pan in increases the intensity of the situation which I will be using in my kidnapping scene on the TV. Also from various films, slow motion shots and close up shots are used to display strong emotion or sadness, which I will be using to make a more hard hitting piece with my final scene and my introduction. This also means it is edited better to the music, as it starts and finishes at a slow pace, so the editing matches the tempo of the audio.

For my action scenes I will be using a cut on action when possible, to achieve a more realistic by retaining continuity and helping cuts flow together (as researched from various action movies)

A mistake commonly found in A Level music videos is the use of the analog zoom function on a camera. Not only does this reduce quality, but it seems unnatural and ruins the immersion. A better way to change the shot would be a gradual pan forwards which I will be utilising. If I do need to add zoom I will make it very minor and gradual to preserve the cinematic effect.

I will be using in shot framing when it is appropriate to show my character's mental state (being trapped, free, sad, happy etc) which is used effectively in the Pixar film, Up, to illustrate sadness and loneliness.

This post will be updated as more research is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment